Beers + Burpees Charity Event Combines Drinking, Working Out + Helping Kids
Mike Dascal, the father of three children, has a passion for working out and helping kids. On Sept. 10, he’ll combine his two passions with the 6th-annual Beers and Burpees Charity Event.
Dascal, who has lived in Charlotte for 16 years, started Beers and Burpees in his home. He had been doing CrossFit for about a year and he started hosting workouts at his house and getting competitive with his friends while enjoying a few beers.
Eventually, the event grew and he decided to give back. He start charging his friends for the workouts and decided he would donate the money.
The first year he had about 40 people participate and he donated the money to the Wounded Warriors Project.
The second year, he donated the proceeds to Dream on 3, a local nonprofit for children with chronic illnesses, developmental disabilities or life altering conditions started by Dascal’s friend, Brandon Lindsey. Dascal liked donating to the Wounded Warriors Project but with Dream on 3 he was able to see exactly where the money went. He was able to meet the kids and see their dreams come true.
Mike Dascal with Michael T. His dream was to watch a WWE event live.
Dascal donates 100% of the money from his event to Dream on 3. Last year, he raised more than $19,000; this year his goal is $50,000. “Hey, why not?” Dascal said.
So let’s get to it.
What is Beers and Burpees?
– A general fitness/bootcamp partner workout with three rounds.
– The workout consists of box jumps, burpees, running, other body weight exercises — and drinking beer.
– Heats are every 30 minutes from noon-6 p.m.
– There are three divisions: regular, competitive and kids aka “Brownies and Burpees.”
– In the regular division, exercises can be modified and drinking is optional.
– Registration is $100 for the regular division and $120 for the competitive division for a team of two. Price includes a T-shirt or tank top, four beers per person and two food vouchers per person.
– Sweetwater Brewing out of Atlanta has donated the beer for the event.
– You do not have to be a CrossFitter to participate – this is for everyone.
What is Dream on 3?
Dream on 3 is a Charlotte nonprofit organization whose mission is to make dreams come true for children (ages 5-21) with chronic illnesses, developmental disabilities, or life-altering conditions by teaming them up with their favorite athlete and creating personal experiences.
You might remember this past spring when Steve Smith took autistic teen Aubrey Bridges to prom.
Here’s another example of a Dream on 3 experience.
Learn more about the event at www.beersandburpees.com.
Photos: Courtesy of Beers and Burpees